Elmira Pet Products is devoted to the welfare of our planet. We take our commitment to the environment very serious and we are consistently taking steps in the right direction to reduce waste and minimize environmental impact. Elmira Pet Products has made the following successes possible.
- Advanced water recycling system enables boilers to draw from pre-heated recycled water, allowing for daily energy savings equivalent to heating a typical backyard swimming pool.
- Solar panels on the roof of the shipping warehouse allow for 500kW DC generating capacity.
- Equipment upgrades including new electrical transformers, motor speed control devices, etc.
- $30,000 investment in LED bulbs for outside lights.
- Office, hallway and common area lighting replaced with more efficient halogen bulbs.
- Our water recycling system saves 40m3 of water per day.
- $400,000 invested in a waste water pre-treatmentsystem to improve the quality of our waste water.
- Recycled potable water is used in concert with water-efficient pressure washers for sanitation processes throughout facility.
- All of the shrouds we use are recyclable and are made of 100% recycled material.
- All of the over 170,400 pallet pads we use each year contain recycled material and themselves are 100% recyclable.
- All cardboard used in the facility is recycled.
- Skids are used multiple times and returned to supplier after each rental for inspection and repair where broken or damaged components are recycled rather than sent to landfill. As skids break they are repaired using suitable boards from other broken skids.
- For CHEP skids, when using new material, only lumber from tree farms which are a responsible and sustainable source of timber are used.
- Paper and plastic/metal recycling bins are available throughout the office and lunchroom areas.
- Working with 3rd party recycling facility allows us to recycle non-typical items including earplugs, nitrile/latex gloves, hair/beard nets, dust masks and broken safety glasses.
- Our upgraded odour abatement system includes high-efficiency cyclones and horizontal wet scrubbers which incorporate a series of treated water spray nozzles and mist eliminating baffles to capture particulate in exhaust air.
- Neutralizing spray is used in exhaust stack to further reduce odour.
- Our plant expansion includes a dedicated and further modernized odour abatement system and exhaust stack.
To view the most recent TRA report feel free to click the following link: Elmira Pet Products 2015 TRA Public Report